Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thanksgiving in Prison

This sign at the Angola Prison made me stop and think.  I asked Prof. Ron Nydam to take this picture - it seemed significant.  The sign is posted above the metal gate to the educational wing of the Main Prison Camp in the Angola State Prison.  Behind me in the photo are classrooms, offices and the theological library of the Bible college within the prison.  The sign refers to Psalm 100: Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise.  Give thanks to him, bless his name. (Ps. 100:4)  The original intent of the writer of this Psalm was the entry through the gates of the Temple.  Into God's House of Prayer.  But it seems to fit in this context too.  These are His gates into His classroom where His children study His Word. 
     I wondered how inmates could carry thanksgiving while they were incarcerated.  It reminded me of my oral comprehensive exams at Calvin Theological Seminary.  I was completely stressed out and carried a tremendous amount of anxiety prior to the exam.  When I talked about this with some friends at church, one of them asked me: "How is that working out for you?"  I replied: "Not very good."  That conversation drove me to God's Word, where I read: "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice." (Phil. 4:4)  I thought to myself ~ Can I carry JOY in all circumstances? And amazingly, it was possible - God's Spirit enabled me to carry Joy and Peace into the stressful experience of oral exams.
   Meanwhile back at the prison, I believe thanksgiving is a real possibility for inmates who pass through those metal gates.  They can give thanks to God in spite of their situation.  They can also give thanks to God in their incarceration by making good use of their time in the Bible College.  In this way, they can learn God's Word and prepare to serve other inmates, giving them purpose in the present.  Finally, they can give thanks to God for their imprisonment because it is an instrument to promote change.  Numerous inmates I've met have also been able to thank God since the great interruption of prison stopped them in their tracks.  When God pulled them off the streets, it saved their life.  Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment