Monday, May 4, 2015

Brothers-in-Blue - Part III

Here is a poem that Rick C. wrote after experiencing his first Brothers-in-Blue at Newton Prison this April.

We are Brothers-in-Blue
Drenched in Red
and Robed in White.

Praise God for Change!

Rick C. loved the worship times embedded in the Brothers-in-Blue.  He often sat in the front row.


As for me I'm thankful to everyone who played a key role in the Brothers-in-Blue event at Newton Prison on April 23-26.  There were many New Life volunteers represented as well as others coming as far away as Spencer and Cedar Rapids.  I'm especially grateful to Mark Willson - our fearless leader!  Mark combined a nice balance of humor and spirituality.  

This event helped men to discover a new way of life while drawing closer to God.  62 inmates and 19 volunteers completed the program.  Two of our volunteers were living, breathing role models for the men at the prison, having been locked up at one time in their past.  Overall, it was an absolutely inspirational event for all of us involved.

We were very grateful for the cooperation that we received from the staff.   We know that this event is beneficial for the men to discover a new way of life as they draw closer to God.

This is now the third year for the Brothers-in-Blue at NCF.  I know that this event requires additional effort from volunteers and staff.  However, we trust that all this extra effort will be worthwhile due to the positive impact.  It'd be great if this event could be held once again in the spring of 2016.  To paraphrase the famous words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, "We'll be BACK!"

2 comments:

  1. Hey rock its Austin Murray I was at newton for a while and went to pretty much ever brothers in blue while I was there I was wondering if I can ok it with my parole officer if theres any way I can volunteer to help out in the new life church the pagan religion is hard to study on my own so since I believe in all religions I figured I'd see about help out the church of the prison I was in let me know and I'll ask if I can help

    ReplyDelete