Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013
It's November. The leaves are falling and it's a great time to think of the 1,001 things that we can be thankful for. God has blessed us and the New Life Prison Community. I want to thank Him for everything under the sun. Of course it would take years to list everything but I'll take a few moments to write a few things down.
I'm thankful for:
I'm thankful for:
- God's Word
- His Spirit
- Enthusiastic Volunteers
- The cooperation of prison officials
- Regular attenders at Bible studies and prayer groups
- New guys who show up on a regular basis
- Baptism class
- A third baptism worship service in 2013 (scheduled for Nov. 21)
- The first Brothers-in-Blue at Newton in years.
- A brand new mentoring program
- Greeting card ministry
- Bibles to give away to new arrivals at the prison
- A Vibrant music ministry
- Bands like Piercing the Darkness and Now Serving 7 who share their musical talent in the prison gym.
- Inspirational speakers like Joe Brummel, Mike Sereg and Jim Dreyer
- The power of prayer
- Answered prayers
- A dedicated prayer team that remembers members of New Life weekly in prayer.
- Our families
- Fall bike rides
- The beauty of wildlife along the bike trail - deer, turkey, eagles, pelican, etc.
- The fall colors
- The opportunity to visit supporting churches
- The annual harvest of corn and beans in the state of Iowa
- The drive from Pella to Newton and back
- Christian music in a variety of styles
- Conversations with men at the prison about life, faith, and families.
- The sacrament of the Lord's Supper inside and outside of prison walls
- New believers
- Christians growing in their walk through discipleship training
- New Life Board members
- New Life supporters
- Inmates who provide special music, give their testimony or read a poem during worship services.
- Materials for Bible study like "Not a Fan" and the "Peacemaking Church."
- The joy of visiting the Lord Jesus in prison (Matthew 25:40)
- The mission of proclaiming the Good News to the nations (Matthew 28:18-20)
- The love of our Lord God.
- The grace and peace of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ.