Wednesday, April 25, 2012

'Gearing Up' for RAGBRAI

I'm gearing up for RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa).  Part of gearing up means getting the road bike in good working-order and running sweetly.  So I brought my bicycle down to Iowa Bike & Fitness yesterday to get Marty's assistance.  After 9,000+ miles over the life of my bike it was time for a new rear-derailleur.  So here's a picture of my new bike part.  The bike should be shifting like a champion now!


Gearing up for RAGBRAI also means doing the necessary training.  RAGBRAI is 471 miles this year - not as hilly as last year but it's a little longer.  It starts in Sioux Center, Iowa and goes all the way to Clinton, Iowa in one week.  So I've been riding my fair share and logging the training miles.  But don't worry - it's no chore.  I love to ride!


Gearing up for RAGBRAI also means preparing for Pedal for Prisoners.  Last year we gathered sponsors between seven riders and raised over $18,000 for the New Life Prison Community.  This year the goal of six riders is to top the $20,000 barrier.  Will you sponsor one of us?  Will you make a stand and support this important ministry to men at the Newton Prison?

No comments:

Post a Comment