Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Blessing for a Journey

On the bus ride to Sioux Center (start town of RAGBRAI) and on the bus ride from Clinton (finish town of RAGBRAI), I read selections from the Contemporary Celtic Prayer Book.  One selection that caught my eye was the Blessing for a Journey.  It's not surprising that this particular Irish verse captured my attention.  I was on a journey to Sioux Center.  I was on a journey by bike from Sioux Center to Clinton.  I was on a journey home.  Isn't life a journey in many ways?  
While I read, my thoughts reflected (in parentheses) on the reading...


Blessing for a Journey (page 106)

May the road rise to meet you.  (Lord, let it be so.)
May the wind be always at your back.  (It is not always so.)
May the sun shine warm upon your face.  (Feel the warmth!)
And the rain fall soft upon your fields.  
                              (Water them, Lord, and bless the harvest.)
And until we meet again, (May it be so.)
May you be held in the palm of God's hand.  
                              (Amen and Amen.  Hallelujah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment