Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ride the Rockies Reflections

I checked an item off my bucket list this June.  I rode my bike through Colorado in the Ride the Rockies.  The bike ride had a twofold purpose: fun in the mountains and fundraising for New Life.  Many of you have supported this important fundraiser with your generous gifts.  Thanks so much!!!

Here are a few notes from the ride.





Day One: We started in Telluride.  A beautiful town (one of my favorites) in Southwest Colorado.  The start was tough - after only 3 miles on the flats we began to climb up Lizard Head Pass - Elevation 10,222'.  That wasn't easy!  But the rest of the ride was all downhill to Cortez.  We were flying and had an average pace of over 18mph, even with the big initial climb.

Day Two: The days route was a short one from Cortez to Durango. But it was HOT and had some wicked climbs.  We enjoyed the day, especially seeing a horse and foal  outside of Mancos.  The downhill into Durango was tricky with crosswinds in the canyons.

Day Three: We rode from Durango to Pagosa Springs.  It was another hot day.  The course passed within a few miles of the New Mexico border.  And it looked like New Mexico too - it was the high desert.  Rocks and low pine trees and very little shade.  One of the highlights was passing by Chimney Rock.  The reward of the day?  Pagosa Springs had a refreshing hot springs pool that revived our legs.  It also had a great Mexican Restaurant.  We ate on a deck right alongside the river.

Day Four: This day was a bear!  The queen stage.   We had 91 miles to cover from Pagosa to Alamosa.  The hardest part was going up Wolf Creek Pass.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  It was an 8 mile grind and we hit the high point on the tour: 10,850 feet!


Day Five: I spent the night at the house of my friend from seminary days.  Needless to say, I was well-rested and ready to roll.  We found a good breakfast spot in Alamosa then it was 50 miles north on the straightest flattest road I've ever been on.  No hills and only 1 or 2 feet of elevation gain for miles.  Flat plain with the Sangre de Cristo mountains on our right.  But the road was bumpy - we called it the hemorrhoid highway! Poncha Pass was over 9,000 feet but not that steep.  Plus we had a tailwind.  Going down the other side was incredible - the curves were sweepers and I went 52 mph on my bike.  My fastest ever.  One negative: my bike mirror bounced off and broke on the way down!

Day Six: Salida was a fun town.  There was food, a live band and a river downtown.  There was so much to do.  A very enjoyable spot that was tough to leave.  We had a longer day than expected due to the Colorado wildfires.  The course was rerouted and went 90+ miles and another mountain pass.  It was a great day but it got very hot at the end.  We passed a huge supermax federal prison in Florence that houses some infamous criminals including one of the Oklahoma City bombers.

Day Seven: This day started in Canon City.  And ended in Canon City (for me).  It was a short day from Canon City to Colorado Springs.  Only 40 miles or so.  But I never reached the finish line.  I crashed my bike just a half mile into the ride.  I bumped a friend's bike and went down hard at an intersection.  I knocked my head on the pavement but the helmet absorbed the impact.  My right arm was in a lot of pain.  They took me to a local hospital - the x-rays revealed that my arm was not broken.  It could've been so much worse.  After a week or two my arm (right elbow) was feeling much better.  I'm back to riding.  Not finishing Ride the Rockies is actually a good thing - it gives me a good excuse to go back and do it again sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment