Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First Service

We had a wonderful first service at the Newton Prison on Holy Thursday.  God blessed it and paved the way for things to go quite smoothly.  Despite the fact that we had a lot of music, sound, and communion supplies, the corrections officers at the front desk were extremely cooperative.  We were able to start the service on time.  Twelve volunteers came with different responsibilities.  Some helped with music, others helped with sound, others served & prepared communion, others preached (me).  The message was called "Memory of a Meal" and it was based on Luke 22:7-30.  This is a wonderful text about the Last Supper in the Upper Room.  Jesus is so gracious to us, giving us a wonderful Meal to Remember Him by.  In the prison it was no different.  Communion was the highlight of the worship service.


  Approximately 80 inmates were in attendance.  There were some familiar faces that had been part of our New Life Bible study and prayer groups.  But other men I had never seen before.  Whether brand new or familiar faces, it made no difference.  It was a great joy to serve communion to each one.  As they came forward in very orderly fashion, it was an incredible joy to say to each man: The body of Christ, given for you.  I thought it would be an extremely emotional experience for me since it was my first time serving communion as an ordained Minister of Word and Sacraments.  However, I maintained my composure until the very end when Pastor Sheldon said to me: The body of Christ, given for you.  And The blood of Christ, shed for you.  And I felt the love of God touch my tongue.  It moved me to know deep down that Jesus also died for me.  Isn't our God amazing?  


For many of the guys, it was rare to have communion in prison.  One of the men said that it was the pinnacle of his 7 years in prison.  Another man said, the worship service wasn't good...it was great!  I agree.  May God give us many more opportunities to serve & worship at Newton Prison.  To Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment