Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Baptism & Profession of Faith










On November 20, New Life had a Thanksgiving Service in the Newton Prison Gym.  Featured prominently were baptism and profession of faith.  A high-water mark was reached in both: 11 men were baptized and 5 men professed their faith in Jesus Christ.  Glory be to God!

Here are some words from two men who participated.  Denny was the last in line to be baptized.  As it says in the Word, "The first will be last."  Denny had to wait a LONG TIME to be baptized.  He said he first believed when he was 10 years old out in Oregon but his family was not religious.  So he waited until now…  Here are Denny's words: "I wish to thank everyone from New Life.  I was truly blessed by my baptism.  I had wished to be baptized for FORTY YEARS.  Thank you to my extended New Life family.  They truly are a light in a dark place.  For the giver of new life truly is Jesus Christ.  Jesus answered, 'Verily, verily I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.' (John 3:5)  Thank you to everyone that attended my baptism.  The transformation is amazing.  Sincerely a Spirit-filled believer at the Newton Prison."

Matt was one of the 5 guys to make a stand for Christ and profess faith in Christ.  He reads from Psalm 27:1-5 every day as it is a great encouragement to him.  Here is the first verse of that Psalm ~ "The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?  The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"  Matt understands that the reason for these worship services is "to plant seeds in people's hearts to bring them to Christ."  He took encouragement in seeing two men who were recently baptized reading the Word of God together back at their housing unit.  Here are a few more words from Matt: "When I professed my faith, it helped me in so many ways.  For a long time, I never wanted help with anything and at times felt unworthy.  Though I sometimes struggle still, God makes me feel worthy.  God has shaped me in ways I myself can't understand.  I don't think I'm supposed to understand it but just live as he's making me into a better man so that I can be fulfilled in His name.  Thank you all!  Thank you Lord for everything including my memories of loved ones.  You are a blessing to me.  Love you all.  Thank you for all your help and prayers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment