Friday, December 5, 2014

Graduation!

Yesterday I attended the High School Graduation at the prison.  One of the teachers in the education department at the Newton Prison invited me to attend.  Formerly this was called the GED program but now it's called the HiSET - high school equivalency test.  Anyway I'm glad I attended.  I'm proud of all the graduates for what they've accomplished.  It's a big deal for guys who are locked up to finally finish what they've started.  It gives them a feeling of satisfaction that they can overcome obstacles in order to realize their goals.  One of the men graduating had recently been baptized at our November worship service.  He was one of the keynote speakers and emphasized "perseverance" in his talk.  Perseverance is so important in the Christian life too!  Two other graduates had made profession of faith at the November worship service in the prison gym.  One of them was actually the valedictorian of the class having scored quite well.  This man is very quiet in our New Life small groups but if you look at him it appears from his face that he is processing things internally all the time.  His brain is engaged even though he doesn't contribute much to the discussion.  His teachers are encouraging him to go to college because his mind is sharp.  When I spoke with him afterwards I asked him what his best subject was in school.  He said mathematics - that was always a strong point for me too.  Overall it was a feel good moment to attend the graduation ceremony - the men were in cap & gown and also had family members there to witness the proud moment.  I really enjoyed it and hope to attend in future years!

No comments:

Post a Comment