Monday, August 1, 2011

Answers to Prayer

On day one of RAGBRAI, Gary V. asked me to pray before we rolled down the road.  So the anxious group of bike riders from Pella Cycling Club paused for a moment to pray.  And I prayed for three things: protection, providence, and presence.  I prayed that God would protect us and keep us safe as we biked across the state of Iowa.  I prayed that God would provide for our physical needs by supplying us with food & drink.  I prayed that God would make his presence known to us through creation and the hospitality of a stranger.  I believe God answered that prayer in the affirmative.


Pastor Rick, Dick and his son Grant (Left to Right)
God protected us as a club of bike riders, preserving our lives.  We had one close call.  My new friend Dick from Newton had an accident on the final day.  Dick hit a crack in the pavement then did a full flip over his handlebars.  He landed hard, tearing some muscles in his shoulders and skinning his knee.  Fortunately, his helmet absorbed the impact of the blow.  He was taken to the university hospital in Iowa City and released the same day.  All of us were relieved to see him (arm in a sling) at the finish line.  He rode the bus back to Pella with us.


God supplied us with food and drink.  Some kind people gave food & drink away for free.  Others set up road-side stands but charged a fair price.  I really didn't see anyone ripping people off.  We tried to stay hydrated.  We tried to stay energized by consuming lots of calories.  Townspeople along the way provided for our needs in churches, food-booths, restaurants, and general stores.  At the finish of each day, there were cold drinks and snacks provided by the Pella cycling club.  Our needs were met.


Gary S. took this photo.  It was even more beautiful live.



God made his presence known to us in creation.  We took off early on Day 3 and witnessed this beautiful sunrise outside of Carroll, Iowa.










My daughter & I had fun riding part of RAGBRAI together.




Finally, God made his presence known to us in the hospitality of a stranger.  On Day 4 I had the privilege of riding the last 6 miles with my daughter.  What fun!  On the way to Altoona, we stopped for free watermelon from a church.  By giving refreshing fruit to a bunch of bike riders, I believe they were demonstrating God's grace.


Thank God for answered prayer.


Pastor Rick
New Life









No comments:

Post a Comment