Saturday, August 6, 2011

No More Throw-Aways

Friends - Here is an article that I wrote for the Local Paper - The Pella Chronicle.

















August 5, 2011

No More Throw-Aways

Pella — We live in a disposable society.  If something is broken, we rarely fix it.  Instead we trash it, then run to the store to buy a new one.  Sometimes it’s prudent to buy something new rather than try to fix the old model.  A few years ago, the CD player on my home stereo system broke down.  When I went to the technician to get a cost estimate on the repair, I found that it actually cost more to fix the old one than buy a brand new CD player with a capacity of 5 discs.  So I bought the new model and scrapped the old one.

Sometimes our society treats people like products.  Instead of fixing people who are broken, we’d rather throw them away or at the very least push them to the margins of society.  In this way, they won’t be able to interfere with the more functional models.  Brokenness can take many forms.  The brokenness may involve physical, mental or emotional disabilities.  Or the broken individual may carry the baggage of family dysfunction, substance abuse or criminal behavior.  So we ask ourselves, why should we go to the great trouble of fixing the broken when the cost is tremendous?  Why not just throw them away?

God says no.  The God of heaven and earth refuses to throw his children away.  Instead, he gently restores the broken ones.  Listen to the words of the prophet Isaiah:  But as for you, Israel my servant, Jacob my chosen one, descended from Abraham my friend, I have called you back from the ends of the earth, saying,

“You are my servant. For I have chosen you and I will not throw you away. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”  (Isaiah 41:8-10, NLT)

Last September the churches of the greater Pella region made a bold move.  They decided to begin a new prison congregation in Newton.  The Spirit moved the churches to reject the old adage of “lock the door and throw away the key.”  Instead, the Spirit inspired the churches to approach the prisoner with the love of Jesus Christ.  The Spirit encouraged them to emulate the character of God by not throwing the prisoner away.  Now the new approach would be a Christ-like stance of restoration, renewal and hope.

Last November I received and accepted the call to be the pastor of this new prison congregation.  It’s called New Life.  The name contains layers of meaning but summarizes the Gospel.  In Christ, the prisoner receives forgiveness of sins.  In addition, God gives the prisoner a new life in which he gains the strength to follow Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.  The old criminal lifestyle fades into the rearview mirror as he moves forward in faith to embrace Christ.  The road isn’t always smooth but the prisoner gains the support of the Christian community while pursuing the path of discipleship.

Please pray for New Life as we seek to restore broken individuals imprisoned in Newton.  And may the Holy Spirit restore each one of us so that we seek to restore rather than throw away.

Pastor Rick Admiraal is the pastor of New Life, a new prison congregation in Newton.

1 comment: