Monday, January 10, 2011

Hebrews 13 - Remember the Prisoner

This Sunday evening, I preached at Calvary Christian Reformed Church in Pella.  The sermon was one requirement for me to become an ordained minister in Classis Central Plains.  I had to submit three written sermons from the Old Testament, New Testament, and Heidelberg Catechism.  The New Testament sermon was based on Hebrews 13:1-3 and needed to be preached during a church service.

Hebrews 13:1-3  (Bible Gateway - Hebrews 13)  is a wonderful passage of Scripture.  I thoroughly enjoyed writing this sermon and preaching it too.  I called the sermon: A Tale of Four Cities.

In the heart of downtown Philadelphia is this sculpture of LOVE

First City: Philadelphia, The City of Brotherly Love

Second City: Xenia (Ohio), The City of Hospitality

Third City: Newton (Iowa), The City of Newton Prison

Fourth City: The Holy City, The City of God

Theme: The prison church is a signpost of the New Day to come.


Xenia was a stop on the underground railroad


If you'd like to view the sermon, follow this link and look for the January 9 Evening Service:  Calvary CRC Video

During the Third City section, I spoke about active-remembering.  Albert Barnes wrote that we remember the prisoner when we feel compassion for him in his suffering, when we remember him in our prayers, or when we give him aid for his relief.  Certainly the prison church remembers the prisoner when volunteers come in from the outside to visit / fellowship / worship with inmates.

A quick story.  Last week I was at the prison visiting with the Chaplain.  At that time, I also met the Chaplain's assistant.  He is an inmate named John who speaks both English and Spanish fluently.  He told me about his ministry to fellow inmates on the prison yard.  Then he spoke these words to me: "I've found that the three most important words when doing ministry to my fellow prisoners are ~ Jesus Loves You!"
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment