Friday, January 28, 2011

Prison Passages



I love God's Word.  And I thought it would be a helpful exercise to list off a few prison passages.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.  (Psalm 68:6) 

The LORD upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.  The LORD sets prisoners free.  (Psalm 146:7)

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.  (Isaiah 61:1)


Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.  (Matthew 25:34-36)


Jesus answered him (the criminal on the adjacent cross),  I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.  (Luke 23:43)


The Identity of the Apostle Paul: I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles.  (Ephesians 3:1)


Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. (Hebrews 13:3)


You can probably think of a few other key verses.  Feel free to share those with us in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie Walters adds Isaiah 42:7 to the above list.

    The Lord has called you to "open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness."

    ReplyDelete