Monday, January 10, 2011

Minus One Appendix

I had an insider's "tour" of the Pella Hospital on Tuesday
On Tuesday, I lost some weight when a surgeon at Pella Regional Health Center removed my appendix.  

It all started on Monday night when I couldn't sleep.  I was in a lot of pain.  My abdomen was really tight, like a clenched fist.  I tossed and turned all night long.  I tried sleeping on my right side then on my left, on my stomach then on my back.  But nothing worked.  Moans and groans came out of my mouth too numerous to count.  Finally, my wife Rose made a declaration: We're going to the hospital!  It was 5:30am.  

At Pella Regional Hospital, they ran a battery of tests.  It was decided that my appendix needed to be removed because it was 50% too large and the cause of my pain.  So it was.  And I had an appendectomy at about 10:30am.  Pastor Art was there prior to surgery.  He read Psalm 121 and prayed for my health.  It meant a lot to me that he stayed around to comfort Rose during the surgery and make sure that everything was OK.

Later that evening, Pastor Art's wife Amy along her children came to visit in my hospital room.  Amy wondered out loud if I liked a lot of Drama.  Maybe so.  I am getting started in prison ministry - that's packed with all kinds of drama...

It's fun for a seminary graduate and candidate for ministry to think theologically about life events.  What does this appendix surgery mean?  Is it spiritual warfare?  Maybe Satan is attacking the new ministry with physical setbacks right from the start.  Or is this God sending me a message?  Maybe God is reminding me of my human limitations and encouraging me to practice patience.
The experience pointed me to Paul's famous passage where he considered his thorn in the flesh.  God said to Paul: 
     My Grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  (II Corinthians 12:9)

Still smiling.  Even without an appendix!
I'm grateful that God has restored me to health.  And I'm grateful that I was able to preach at Calvary last night.  I pray that this week will be surgery-free.






No comments:

Post a Comment